STFC On-site Work Experience programme Summer 2024
Each year at STFC, we are proud to run a highly successful work experience scheme for Year 10, 11. 12 and 13 students at schools based in the UK (S4, S5 and S6 in Scotland). For the summer 2024 programme the Daresbury Laboratory (DL), Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) and UK Astronomy Technology (UK ATC) work experience teams will be delivering on-site work experience provision for young people. We will be running on-site placements throughout the summer.
Project placements: information
Students will work individually or in a small group with one or two supervisors on a project relevant to their interests and STFC, which will meet the relevant Gatsby benchmarks. The placements will last 1-2 weeks and be a mixture of independent working and supervisor led sessions.
Many people work at STFC, and we are committed to making the workplace welcoming to all. If you are offered a placement and require any reasonable adjustments to get the most out of your placement or experience, please let us know via email at [email protected] (DL) / [email protected] (RAL) / [email protected] (UK ATC)
Applications via the online forms for on-site placements at all sites will open in the new year.
Please use the buttons below to find out more.
You can find more information about STFC sites and departments here
STFC Department links
For more information on our sites, please see below:
- Daresbury Laboratory (DL)
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL)
- UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC)
You can also use the following links to find out more about the departments at STFC.
- Accelerator Science and Technology Centre (ASTeC)
- Boulby Underground Laboratory
- Central Laser Facility (CLF)
- Hartree Centre
- ISIS Neutron and Muon Source
- Particle Physics Department
- Research Complex at Harwell (RCaH)
- RAL Space
- Scientific Computing Department (SCD)
- Technology Department
Social Media Links:
Examples of previous projects
There are lots of examples here from a range of departments. Use this list to have a think about which activities would interest you and what you would like to try over the week to help write your application. Students are matched to supervisors and projects according to their interests and ability. At the UK ATC students will work with different supervisors across the week.
- Designing and collating website content
- Creating social media posts, case studies and posters
- Plotting data from particles using accelerator simulations
- Creating an art piece to raise awareness of experiments on-site
- Creating graphs using data from an x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy data experiment Building a temperature sensor circuit using an Arduino/Raspberry
- Writing code for the Large Hadron Collider
- Analysing data from a Large Hadron Collider experiment
- Using CAD (Computer Aided Design) software to solve a mechanical engineering challenge Using a computer model to investigate the impact of radiation on satellites
- Investigating the thermal properties of materials used in space
Please note – these projects are examples projects from previous years and will not necessarily be the offered projects for 2024.